Monday, May 5, 2008

HFCS

I did it......I'm so excited about it! I've been working on a little goal for about a year and I finally hit it. As most of you know who know me....I'm big on healthy eating. Grinding wheat and other grains, making bread, and all that comes along with feeding my family healthy. I've been on a mission to get high fructose corn syrup out of the house. Just google it and you'll see that its not an ingredient that your body needs or likes, but then again, its in almost everything! Its a sweetener and a preservative, so even foods that you wouldn't think as being sweet.....there it is.

Last week I went out to buy some fruits and veggies along with hamburger buns and pita bread. The hamburger buns that I have been buying for the past couple of years, Sara Lee whole wheat, second ingredient is HFCS! I was shocked! So, I had to think....do I stick with my plan or do I just buy these b/c they are so good? I put them back. Same with the pita bread.....I love (or used to love!) the Thomas brand. There, again, it was the 2nd or 3rd ingredient. I did find a whole wheat brand without it, though, a few brands down. :)

I got home and have never made hamburger buns before even though I have the recipe. I just didn't think they'd turn out good with a hamburger! They turned out great. :) And, now have a freezer stocked for the upcoming grilling season. I have made pita bread before and it turned out pretty good, so I'll have to try that again soon.

Wait....I do have 1 thing in my fridge that has HFCS......Tim bought shrimp cocktail sauce last night. Of course, we had to read the ingredients when he got home and it is there! But, he didn't know to look for it, and now he does. I'll have to check out some other brands next time I go to the store.

I do promise that we do eat and it does taste good! I've found that the more organic or natural that we eat the better it tastes.....right down to ketchup!! Right, Uncle Vince??!! Try organic ketchup sometime.....it is so good. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about HFCS this morning! Since I'm on my "bread" kick, I was looking at the ingredients in my store-bought
"100% whole wheat" bread. Guess what one of the top ingredients was...HFCS! Ugh! I'm looking forward to making my own "good" bread :) . Thanks for your help!
Rebecca Ross

somebody,somewhere said...

o.k. i posted on the post about issy's cute pics about your healthy eating, now i'm going to look through my cabinets - SCARY!! :(

Kim said...

Its an "eye opener" isn't it?? I can't believe what is in some of our "healthy" food. Not exactly healthy, but cheap to make! I'm excited for to to get started making your own bread, Rebecca! And, having family in Nashville, you'll be able to order grains cheap through a co op!

Taryn @ Hayes Happenings said...

hey Kim - I'm interested in the whole HFCS thing. I did a check online and it seems that we don't really have much/or any products in our home with it. But, often these products have synonyms (like MSG has a ton of other names). Do you know what the synonyms are?

Kim said...

Hey Taryn....HFCS doesn't have any other names that I know of. I know corn syrup is another cheap sweetner, but its not as "trash talked" as HFCS. We just tend to do "all natural" and organic when we can. Then you don't have to worry about "garbage" in the food! I know MSG has a list a mile long....very overwhelming! I pretty much follow the rule that if I can't read the ingredients then I don't buy it. Other thing that I have eliminated is anything with red or yellow dye. Also, not good for kids or adults!!