Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Canada, finally!

Finally, after about 5 times of sitting and trying to get these downloaded....I succeeded!

This is how we left Isabel. Am I a bad mother, or what?! And, it was my fault. I was cleaning out the back of the van, so I had the middle seats leaning forward. I put the seat back, buckled her in and took off. At the stopsign at the end our our street, I put the brakes on and Issy's whole seat crashed forward, smashing her into the seat in front of her. I jumped out and got her out....I felt SO bad. The bottom of her seat was not latched tightly into the floor! Luckily we were on our way to the doctor, and he assured me that everything would be fine. It would just look pretty bad for awhile!


Did I say "tomorrow" in my last post??! I guess I meant next week! Fheww! Life goes by pretty fast! But, a really good week-and-a-half. Now I get to remember the good times we had in Canada. Tim was in his element. I guess when most husbands surprise their wives with a trip it usually involves a beach somewhere! Nope, not Tim....he'd burn! He is SOOO a Mountain Guy....but I encourage that because I LOVE the mountains! And, most husbands would be thrilled to get a cool, little, sporty car or SUV as a rental. Not Tim! He was SO EXCITED when we walked up to our car and it was a GRAND MARQUIS! Yes, a boat of a car. But, it did have leather and a sunroof, so all was good. They do ride nice, but they certainly don't make you feel cool!!

We had so much fun. Papa Bob and Nana Shirley picked up the kids in Green Bay. They sure were not sad to see us leave! And, we blasted off and they bombed back to MI. We were really on our own! I haven't flown alone with Tim since before Alaina was born. Let me tell you, it was really nice. :)

Canada was COLD. Tim kept telling me a high of 58....that wasn't so bad. But, that wasn't true. The first thing we did in Calgary was hit the Mountain Equipment Co op and buy head warmers and gloves! I'm so glad I did. SO, all these pictures....yes, I am pretty much wearing the same thing everyday! I layered all I had and even had to hit up the Gap for more long tees! But, it was still so much fun. Hiking and just being in the mountains was too good. :)

These pictures are all messed up in order-wise. I thought I had a system down so when I download they come up in the order they are suppose to be, but not this time. And, you probably wouldn't know the difference anyway! So, here's our fun weekend away. :)

Tim would get irritated with me because I'd move too slow. Not so much hiking slow, but just in general. Or, I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to do. I just kept saying that I have to keep 4 kids moving all the time and I have to decide pretty much everything for them all day, so it was nice to have someone tell me what to do! But, even when I did suggest what I wanted to do, like the mountain zipline!! Tim didn't go for it anyway. He had a better idea! I just think he was too scared!

Just have a look. I highly recommend Calgary and Banff. It is so beautiful up there!!


Here we are at the entrance! I had the camera propped up on the open door and rolled down window of the car.....it only took a few shots!


Our first hike. VERY COLD, but we made it. :) We went to the top of Tunnel Mountain. Its funny, Banff is a very touristy place, esp for Japanese people. So, everytime we would get to the top of somewhere, a group would always follow!!


Tim calling his mom to check on the kids...they sure weren't missing us!


I remember a tree like this on one of my big hikes through the Colorado Rockies (14 years ago). But, that time I pretended to ride on it. There was no way I was going to get my buns up there!


The famous Lake Louise. GORGEOUS!


More Lake Louise...


Further up this trail we hit snow and ice! It was so slippery that we both could not stop laughing! But, at the top was a little tea cabin. So, it made it all worth it. This was on our way to Lake Agnes, just a hike up from Lake Louise.




The tea cabin on Lake Agnes. Tim was really enjoying his pink Angel Mist tea!




Just a shot from the sun roof in the car. Breathtaking!



/s1600-h/IMG_3790.JPG">

Here we are in a cave that takes you to a hot spring. We didn't get to go in this one, but we did go in Hot Springs on Friday. I didn't take my camera in, though, and wish I would have! I forgot my swimsuit (along with ALL my undies!) on this trip, but you could rent swimsuits for $1.90. They were the "old" style suits from the 20's!! Very funny, too. Tim assured me that there would be other people there that would have the rented suits on, but when we got into the spring, there were just a lot of stylish bikinis! But, who cares. It was warm and the Springs were wonderful!


Our last hike was just around aJohnson Lake. No elevation...just a walk. :) It was nice...and easy! Just what we both needed. Although, Mr. Big Hike did get pretty wiped out from the 3 we did the day before!


I was hoping to see more wildlife, but we just saw this little beauty!

We ate out every meal, but breakfast....talked a lot (and sometimes just sat!), did a lot of window shopping and walking in downtown Banff. We stayed right downtown in a lodge this time rather than off in a cabin like we did our honeymoon. It was just too fun to just have to think about each other and know that the kids were well taken care of!


But, this is what Issy looked like when we picked her up! We had to cancel our family photo session due to this black eye, but all is well now. She's back to normal and as beautiful as ever. :)

No comments: