Erik eats "cookie balls" like they are their own food group. I make a triple batch every few weeks using fresh ground whole wheat flour and organic cane juice crystals for the sugar and organic eggs....I try to keep them as healthy as possible! We then make them into balls and freeze them. Its about the only "junk" food in our house! I've made them before using barley flour or spelt flour. Last night I thought I'd try using bean flour. Hey...its healthy! So, I ground a couple of cups of Great Northern Beans and I have to admit that the flour did not smell very good! I just used a third bean and the rest regular whole wheat. They turned out the same and looked the same. I tried it....uhhh.......not the same!! Tim had taken Alaina and Erik to Tae Kwon do, so when they arrived home Erik's face just lit up with excitement. "Ohhhh, I love cookie balls!" He exclaimed. He grabbed a spoon and dug in. He didn't notice anything different. Tim grabbed a spoon and dug in. I told him to not say a word!! With a grimace he said they were so good. :)
Later after the kids went to bed the cookie dough came up for discussion. He just could not figure out what they tasted like!! When I asked him if it was bean sprouts he said, YES and I had to admit what I had done! So, I do not recommend it to you moms who are trying to sneak healthy "stuff"' into your kids' food. It is a good way to keep us adults from eating them, though! I forgot to mention that while we were mixing the dough Annika was eating cherry tomatoes and threw a tomato in! Its amazing how much red skin is on one little tomato! I kept picking it out of the cookie balls! Even today when we put the frozen balls in the bags, a few still had red skin!
Today after lunch Erik was going to have one. He got half way through it and told me he just didn't like these cookie balls. He told me they were different and said that the ones that I always make are brown and these were white. I assured him that they were the same color, but he still said they were too white. SO, we have LOTS of bean sprout & tomato chocolate chip cookie dough balls that aren't going anywhere.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment